Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Random Thoughts

#1- Guthrie's Tavern on Addison is one of my favorite Chicago haunts. They have board games (Yahtzee!). They have delivery menus from a couple of dozen nearby restaurants & don't care if you order out. They don't care if you bring in chicken wings from the nearby Jewel instead of ordering out. They have cheese sticks & mini-pizzas on site if you don't want to order out or go to Jewel. And today they introduced me to Beamish genuine Irish stout, which is brewed in Cork, Ireland & is almost as good as Guinness (I cannot say better because that would be blasphemy). Love Guthrie's.

#2-Southport Lanes & Billiards is another great place. They have many pool tables, which is fun even though I suck at pool. They serve Guinness on draft and breaded & deep-fried green beans which is just a freakin' genius idea because they taste amazing especially when you are craving cigarettes and will not smoke. Not to mention being able to kid yourself into thinking that at least you are eating veggies.

#3-In trying economic times, it is good to be a lightweight (in drinking terms). I have had two beers and am ready for bed. I don't get bragging rights but I have more cash left in my pocket than the hardcore drinkers that have to down 4 or 5 to relax. And no hangover. So there.

#4-My friend Mark is a very talented writer, very funny. You should visit his Wordlustitude blog (wordlust.blogspot.com), hit the links to his online columns (so that he can stay employed)and also buy his book. I am saying this because it is true & not because he bought the last round & the fried green beans. Thanks, buddy, by the way.

#5-There are more random thoughts but I do have to go to bed so that I can hit my snooze button the requisite dozen times before getting up, tripping over a cat bed, & going to work. More puppies & kitties will need me in the morning, and maybe a turtle, guinea pig, ferret, rabbit, rat, iguana (I love them even though they are mean, or maybe because), hamster, or bearded dragon.

But please, no birds. Birds freak me out.

-C.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for Random Thought #4--immediately added to blog bookmarks...

aworkinprogress said...

Thanks, M.C.! Hope you enjoy!