Monday, February 2, 2009

Strange Sorrow

One of my guinea pigs died last night. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but she wasn't eating well, and sometimes guinea pigs can develop serious problems if they lose their appetites. Or she could have had a problem that caused her anorexia and led to more problems. I didn't even realize that something was wrong until the situation was dire. And now her cagemate is ill, too.

Her name was Panda. She was the most adorable little black and white smooth-haired piggy I'd seen. I thought of lots of names for her but when I came up with Panda it was just too perfect. Panda was a very neat piggy, and kind of fussy, and very, very shy with people. She also squealed louder than anything whenever she heard the rustling of the bag that held her parsley, or for that matter, any bag rustling at all. She was less a companion for me than she was for my one-eyed piggy Pickle, and I'm afraid that even if he gets through all this mess Pickle will be heartbroken to have to live without her.

I'm sad that she is gone, and sadder still because in retrospect I think that I may have missed important signs that she was ill. Pet health is not just my responsibility in my home, but it is also my job, so I'm doubly hard on myself here. More than anything, though, I'm really sad because I can only find one picture of her. I lost most of my pictures when I fried my old desktop computer over a year ago, and it looks like I didn't take any new pictures of Panda since then.

I just took for granted that she would be here for a while longer.

-C.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, Colleen. *hugs*

Brian (Gus) and Kathy (Kat) said...

I am so sorry...losing a pet is awful!

troy said...

meti

Anonymous said...

Even the littlest fur-faces leave deep pawprints on our hearts. I'm sorry about Panda.

The hell of it is, they can't tell us what's going on with them. So we have to observe with all our might, trying to figure out what's gone wrong--and you are so much better prepared to do this with your training. That becomes a double-edged sword if you start thinking you should be able to figure it out and fix it. Sometimes, you just can't.

You did your best for Panda, I know you did. And having had a good life with the Fur Family is no small thing in this world.

gl. said...

oh, colleen! that's so sad. :( i'm sorry you lost panda. don't blame yourself too much, though; you did the best you could. start taking pictures of pickle, quick! :)