Sunday, December 6, 2009

A sigh of relief

I found out today that my final video project for Surgical Prep & Assistance 3 passed. I can't say exactly how relieved I am. It was a 90 minute video of me checking in a surgical patient, performing a physical exam, discussing anesthetic agents, pain management, stages & plane of anesthetic depth, going over the parts & function of anesthetic equipment. Oh, yeah, and placing an IV catheter, performing a surgical shave & prep, inducing & intubating a patient, cleaning & maintaining all aspects of surgical equipment, demonstrating a sterile scrub, going over suture materials & patterns, etc., etc., etc. Talking & showing with a camera on me, and with no notes of any kind. It was a matter of learning the material, then writing a script, scheduling time for filming, executing the tasks at hand, and the entire project was pass/fail.

Did you read that right? Nine different task categories, separated into 4-7 sub-tasks each, and the whole of it PASS-FRICKIN'-FAIL! Meaning that despite my ace-ing Levels 1 & 2, and ace-ing all the written material in the class this semester, and having checked off all my clinical tasks at the practice, I could have failed the entire class if even a small portion of my video was deemed inadequate. To say the least, it was a really stressful semester.

But I passed; nay, my instructor Dr. Badass (I mean, Dr. Black, respectfully) even pointed out that I was very thorough in my execution and explanations. Which I'm taking to mean I didn't merely pass, but excelled.

'Cause I'm a veterinary medicine rock star, y'all. Oh, yeah, am I feelin' it.

Now, on to Food Animal Management & Advanced Anatomy. Then I have to find some horses, apply a tail twitch, draw some blood, & clean the sheath. (And, in case you are wondering, that means what you think).

Peace,
C.

5 comments:

troy said...

Great job!!

Brian (Gus) and Kathy (Kat) said...

Congratulations! You should be ridiculously proud of yourself! I am so proud of you!

Lexie said...

Yessiree, Congratulations to the Veterinary Medicine Rock Star of this Galaxy and any other Galaxy, you betcha! And you found time to give the ol' blog a snappy new look, too! I have to lie down now, I'm very tired just thinking about it all!

MCP said...

I just re-read this, and "congratulations" seems like a pretty weak-ass word for your achievement. Seriously, after your feelings of relief have settled in, I hope you'll let yourself feel really, deeply proud. I know I am!

As for the horses, well, um.....

SEO PARTNERS2 said...

محلات السجاد بالاحساء