Sunday, November 15, 2009

Clowns and Tragedy

I found out that another former co-worker of mine (from Starbucks, this time), has passed away unexpectedly. He was most recently the manager of the Starbucks near my practice, so I saw him on a semi-regular basis. The day before I found out, I went in that Starbucks for a quick early-morning cuppa, and I do remember thinking it was weird that he wasn't there. But I figured that maybe he was just on vacation.

I recall working one night with Mark at the Wrigleyville store. Mark was one of those upbeat people, sometimes annoyingly so, but I knew by then that a lot of strife lay beneath that persona. Opera was playing on our sound system. I think I commented on one of the arias, bragging about my season tickets to the Lyric, wanting to sound so sophisticated & worldly, so much more so then the milk-stained green apron I was donning would imply. Then I thought out loud that another piece sounded like it was from La Traviata.

"Oh, no," Mark said, "This is I Pagliacci. The tragic clown." Then he talked about the opera itself, the particular production, the tenor, the history of the piece and other pieces by the composer. I was impressed, and a little embarrassed at just how little I knew, and by my presumption that he would not.

I saw I Pagliacci this past spring. It was fantastic, and I wish I had taken a minute to talk with Mark about it. It would have been a lively discussion; I can hear, in my head, his booming voice and boisterous laugh.

The tragic clown. Ironic, Mark, given the circumstances of your passing, (too sorrowful for me to state here)that I will now always associate that image with you.

-C.

3 comments:

MCP said...

So much unsaid, implied, so many blanks to fill. I don't know what to say, but to say, I'm sorry for your loss, again... This must seem so hard, so wrong. I'm so sorry.

Melissa said...

Oh, C. I'm so sorry to hear of Mark's passing. The suddenness and finality of it must cut you to the quick. Love you so.

Melissa Ansley said...

Good post. The quote I will always remember Mark by, "Oh, no." When he was right, he was right, haha.

It's funny, a couple weeks ago I passed by his store on the bus, and remembered that was his store...but he would have already passed and I had no idea.