Sunday, September 27, 2009

Big Ups, Big Downs

I saw Mikhail Baryshnikov dance last night. At 62, he is still amazing. The venue was fabulous, the seats were excellent, the company lovely, thank you very much. I got a free glass of red wine & some grapes and brie to boot. I would love to wax poetic about what a sublime experience it was, because it really was, it really, truly was, but this week has been bogged down by bad news. An old friend of mine, who I once worked with as a vet assistant but recently lost touch with, has died.

She was 5 weeks away from turning 33.

The news just took the wind right out of me. She will never eat avocados again, or rock out to 80s punk, or take great care of sick doggies, or have a baby boy to name Diego, or any of the other things that she loved, loved, loved with such uninhibited passion that it makes it even harder to believe that she is gone. How can someone so young, and so full of life, just not be here any more?

I've lived long enough to know that it's pointless to look for sense where there is none, but God, the knowing of that doesn't ease the sting. I just hope that the spirits of all puppies and kitties that she cared for in this world enveloped her in her final moments, leading her soul to a peaceful place.

Goodbye, Michelle. You were so loved.

-C.

3 comments:

Regina Sidwell said...

Sorry to hear about your friend Colleen. It just shows you that you need to love and cherish your family and friends while they are here because it can all be over in the blink of an eye. This time last year, Uncle Joe was supposed to have a small procedure for a blocked duct in his kidney-then poof. Within 2 weeks he was gone-God I miss him.

aworkinprogress said...

I know you do, Reg. I'm so glad that he got to live out those last years in Colorado. And I know that he did, too. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Colleen, I'm so sorry. I lost three friends already this year--unreal. One from college, another from LA, and then a Chicago theatre friend of mine and Troy's. Two were in their 30s. It's shocking and staggering. Nothing can make up the loss. You just go on, grateful for having known them. Inspired to be a little kinder and make just a little bit more out of each day.

love ya,
tiffany