Wednesday, January 21, 2009

To the Broken Helmet Bike Guy...

...on the corner of Dearborn and Madison, at around 5:30 p.m. tonight. I saw that car hit your bike, and I saw your head hit the road. Did you hear that woman screaming? That wasn't me; I think it was the CTA worker who ran to you to make sure you were okay. I didn't occur to me to scream, as everything happened so fast that by the time I realized that a car had hit you, that your head had hit concrete, and that there was a woman screaming because of all of that, I also saw that you were getting up, that you were nodding to your friend that you were okay, and that your helmet was in bits and pieces across the intersection. Tires were already crunching those remnants of helmet by the time everything registered, and now it is that sound that's ringing in my ears as I write this.

I'm glad that you are okay. I'm glad that you were wearing a helmet. I'm glad that you were biking with a friend, and I think that he took down that car's plate number-it sounded like he got at least part of it. I hope you get how lucky you are. And I hope this stops you from veering in and out of busy traffic on your bike. Because you may be nimble and you may be quick but jumping over that particular candlestick over and over and over again only ends up burning your ass. And sometimes a helmet isn't enough. Do you get that now? Does everyone who saw you get that?

Does everyone who is reading this get that? Please say yes.

-C.

6 comments:

Brian (Gus) and Kathy (Kat) said...

Yes! Holy cow! I get it...and you can be sure that my kids do as well. Yikes!

Anonymous said...

Yes. Lord have mercy, yes! I had no idea....

Melissa said...

Wow. Helmets, yes. Safe biking, yes. Glad he was okay. How about you?

troy said...

So it was the bike guy that was being irresponsible? I get it, but that would be a less heard tale as of late for me...


oh, and "yes"

aworkinprogress said...

The bike guy was weaving in and out between cars that were stopped at a red light. He appeared to have been making a right turn in front of a car when the light turned green. The car went forward on the green light and clipped the bike. Then the car took off, which was pretty shitty of him/her. I did hear the bike guy's friend make some reference to the car's license plate number, so hopefully there will be reprecussions. Regardless of bike guy's carelessness, it wasn't right of the driver to leave the scene.

And I'm fine. It was all pretty surreal. Like I said in the blogs, it's the sound of the crunching plastic that is staying with me.

gl. said...

*shudder*