Friday, May 15, 2009

Ode to a Mouse (part deux)

I euthanized my other mouse, Mischief, today. Starting with her cagemate, Oops!, a few months ago, I've said goodbye to all of my rodent pets except for one. It's been a rough go, and the last rodent standing (Giggle the rat) has developed problems of her own. Her days are numbered.

Mischief was a great mouse. She was mostly black, and the black became gray on her belly and muzzle as she got older. When her Oops! became sick and was having difficulty moving from her bed inside a plastic igloo to the food dish just outside it, Mischief took food out of the dish and ran it to the igloo so that Oops! could eat. Maybe I'm over-anthropomorphizing here, but I was really touched by what appeared to me to be concern and generosity from one creature to another.

It reinforces my theory that the littlest creatures get it right sometimes, maybe more often then the bipeds with the brains. Peace, Mischief. You were a way cool mousie.

-C.

2 comments:

MCP said...

Yes, the littlest creatures, with their littlest hearts that somehow hold acres of personality. I'm sorry you've lost your Mischief. Thank you for sharing this with us. How hard it must seem to say goodbye to so many of your wee friends!

Anonymous said...

losing an animal is as bad as loosing a family member. at least they had a good life. hang in there.

Dad