Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sweater Season

Oh, lovely autumn! I'm sitting at my little bistro-style table, staring out of my window at the little bit of Lake Michigan that comes into view (not a a panoramic view by any means-you kinda have to crane the neck a bit to see water), getting ready to brew a second cup of Kenya coffee. It is sweater weather, cooler than the sweltering humidity of summer (though this past one was possibly the mildest I've dealt with in Chicago). The days bring with them the possibility that it may be a little warmer, or a little cooler, a sunny day or a rainy one. I love that about autumn-the reprieve from the heat, and the variety in temperature, precipitation, cloud coverage. I love the changing of the leaves. Back-to-school sales on supplies (the writer in me loves shopping for just the right pad of paper, the perfect clicky-pen). The fall harvest with its apples and winter squashes and pumpkin flavors galore. Pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin spice lattes, even. Not to mention the breaking out of jeans and sweaters, the best of comfort clothes. Fall is simply my favorite time of year. Hope you're enjoying it, too.

-C.

4 comments:

gl. said...

fall has always been my favorite season, too, even in colorado. though here in portland i also had a lovely summer so the fall is tinged with sadness as i know we're about to be grey and rainy for the next 6 months. it's like i ate some pomegranate seeds!

troy said...

I love it too

aworkinprogress said...

gl.-I always thought Persephone got a bad rap-it was barely a handful of seeds! :-)

troy-speaking of autumn foods, are you ready to make some of your fantabulous apple pie anytime soon? :-)

Melissa said...

Mmmmmm. Fall always makes me giggle thinking the colored pencil box has gone crazy, beautiful with its swan song. I love it too!