Monday, June 17, 2013

Death and this maiden

I lost a favorite patient of mine last week.  His name was Dave, and he was a tall, lanky, goofy dog with black fur and a long nose.  I joked of FB that he looked like my cat would have looked like if he was a dog, or funnily like a guy I dated way back when, also named Dave.

Two people commented that it is the worst part of our jobs, the losing of a patient.  I don't agree.  Death is a part of what I deal with, both in my time in general practice and certainly in my time now in oncology.  Death is an inescapable fact of our existence, both in our witnessing of it and in the inevitability of our own demise.  And death isn't the worst thing I see.

Neglect.  Abuse.  Indifference.  These things are much harder to bear witness to.   The finality of death is unavoidable, but these other things are completely avoidable. 

So, even in my sadness, I'm glad I got to meet Dave.  I'm glad the joy of him touched my heart.  We gave him some quality time with his people, and I believe that they were grateful for that. 

And only when we say goodbye do we really know what something, or someone, really meant to us.

-C.

1 comment:

Norton.com/setup said...

QuickBooks Desktop Tech Support Phone Number - With the latest software release of QuickBooks Desktop 2019, it has successfully outgrown other business software products in the competitive market. QuickBooks Desktop gives you the flexibility to manage your accounting, inventory, point of sale, payroll, payment and increase your productivity. It also allows you to track items, vendors and customers.

QuickBooks POS Tech Support Phone Number | QuickBooks Payroll Tech Support Phone Number