Sunday, January 24, 2010

Not a great start

My semester is less than 2 weeks old, and I'm already in a pickle. Remember the whole drama with the video project for Surgical Prep & Assistance 3? I thought that once I past that hurdle that I would be golden. Executing all of the clinical tasks has been the most challenging part of my schooling; all the theory has been in the way of online tests & emailed assignments, and since I read pretty well, I've scored virtually straight A's.

Now I've got Advanced Anatomy & Physiology pounding me down. My first quiz was a B; my first test (taken today) was (gulp) a 60%. That's big fat D, friends and web-neighbors, the lowest grade I've gotten since Art History 110 back at CSU (which is where I fell asleep during lecture EVERY SINGLE CLASS).

I'm assured that I can still pass the class, so long as I average 70% or better overall, and a 70% or better on the final exam. While I'll be doubling my efforts, I cannot help but be discouraged. In large part, because I know that, very simply, I've not been as motivated as I have in the past. I was much more productive & focused when I was working two jobs; the constant movement forced me to be highly organized & efficient (not to mention somewhat reclusive, which is not healthy emotionally but boy, you can sure get things done). Now that I'm down to a single job, and I've had some time to have some fun, all I want to do is knit, play with my pets, read for fun, and hang out with my friends.

But I've got to do well in this class. Forget my G.P.A., or even learning for the benefit of my patients. It would be $460 to repeat the course.

Just because I'm not motivated by greed does not mean I can't be motivated by money.

Peace,
C.

2 comments:

gl. said...

it's normal, colleen. but i know you can do this!

Melissa said...

I recently read a quote about how feeling stressed is the struggle of one's ambition against being confined. That it indicates you stand to do something memorable.

XO