Sunday, March 15, 2009

Into What Woods

I went to a show called Into the Woods today. Two friends of mine were performing, and it was an overall lovely production in which they both did a lovely job.

Watching theatre these days is always a little bittersweet for me. I miss it, very much. I spent a lot of time very intimidated by the idea of "big city" theatre, when the truth of the matter is that it isn't any better or worse at this level, just that there's more of it. Perfectionism can be a dangerous trait to have when you allow it to keep you from trying. And trying again after that.

Then I stumbled into veterinary medicine, and I love it here. Truly I do. How blessed am I to have found multiple fields of interest (theatre, writing, vet med) that I adore and am passionate about and engaged in? I never wanted to be the person who spent 40 hours a week doing something that they hated, or even something that they were "okay" with. It's all or nothing, full-throttle big-guns passion or zilch for me. That's just who I am.

But like I said in another blog, you may be able to have it all, but not all at once. I work at a vet hospital full-time, and am working towards a degree. I'm working a second job to pay for that. That leaves little time to tread boards or even to scribble down a lot of the dialogue that rattles in my head. I hope that some day I can find the time to strike a better balance in doing all of what I love.

And that there will exist opportunities for me therein when I am ready. We'll see.

-C.

4 comments:

troy said...

You keep up the good work, I am a big fan no matter the job you are at.

aworkinprogress said...

Thanks, doll-you know I'm a long-time member of your fan club, too! xoxo

TSC said...

I hear you. i struggled with that for the longest time, but right now i'm on a break from theatre and couldn't be happier. Maybe I'll go back--maybe not. If I want to, it'll still be there. For you, too. :)

aworkinprogress said...

True enough-the theatre community ain't going nowhere (I don't care how bad the economy gets-too many people still love & need the arts!)